HOW TO ACHIEVE A BETTER WORLD OR THE BEST WORLD...???

*SAY NO TO: VIOLENCE/BRUTALITY/KILLINGS/RAPES/TORTURE!
*SAY NO TO:
CORRUPTION/FAVORITISM/DISCRIMINATION!
*SAY NO TO:
IGNORANCE/UNEMPLOYMENT/POVERTY/HUNGER/
DISEASES/OPPRESSION/GREED/JEALOUSY/ANGER/
FEAR, REVENGE!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

I would love to be doing something which involves eradicating the poverty with the poor nations..!!!

Newly-elected Lankan Councilor for Newham Borough, UK says
Politicians can make the world a better place for everybody

By Sujeeva Nivunhella

Mrs.s Shah, a Sri Lankan was elected a Councillor for Newham Borough for the second successive time.

"It gives me a great happiness to be in politics because as a politician I have an opportunity, through whatever means available, to change the world to become a better place", she beamed.

"The decisions we make enable to better the lives of citizens. The vital characteristic of a politician should be to place the community before self-interest. I see my constituents every Saturday to find out their needs and how I can help them to solve their problems", she said in an interview with The Sunday Island.

"I have a team of officers who helps me in this process. In my last four years in office, I was appointed by the Mayor as the lead councillor for East Ham which has nine council seats. I was leading on all the issues which mattered for East Ham. Mayoral appointments are happening on the May 27, 2010 and hope to be reappointed", she noted.

The following are excerpts of the interview with Mrs. Shah:

Q: What’s your family background in Sri Lanka?

A: My mother is Indrani Palliyaguru from Hambantota and my father is P. M. Dissanayake Lenagala of Kegalle. I was born in Hamabantota. I am grateful to my parents for what they have done for me. Their unconditional commitment and love made me an unselfish human being. Therefore, it enabled me to enter British politics. Words cannot express the gratitude that I have for them. I studied at Ladies College in Colombo up to A/L. Then I studied in Russia and came to London thereafter. Subsequently, I studied at UEL and completed PGCE in Education to become a teacher in London. I have worked with British Gas for a long time.

Q: When did you migrate to London and how did you meet your husband?

A: Early 1991. I met him in London when I was on holiday in 1986. He works for TFL as a manager My Husband- is Ash Shah. By origin he is a North Indian but he has never been to India. He loves Sri Lanka and travels to Sri Lanka quite often. He plays a major part in my political life and has always been my political advisor. He is a great father. Therefore I am quite relaxed and I depend on him to do the children’s homework, picking and dropping kids etc.

I have three children, (a daughter and two sons). Dinakshi, Sachin and Vishan. I think even though my children live in London they have very minimum luxuries in life. They do not have any computerised toys. Televisions are not allowed in bedrooms. The internet connection for the computer is in my bedroom. I believe in children having relationships with human beings than with modern technology. I have taught my children the lesson of ‘Give more than you receive’. I spend quality time with my children. I only go to places where I can take my children and enjoy as a family. I enjoy the responsibility of being a mother. I have put many career opportunities on hold because of my commitment to my children. I hope my kids will grow up to be responsible and respected citizens in this world. I think this is the only personal self desire that I have.

Q: How did you enter politics?

A: The first time I was elected to the London local government as councillor in 2006 May. I am a councillor for Newham Borough which is in East London. I managed to win my seat for the second time and got re-elected last week.

Q: What are your views on British politics?

A: As a Sri Lankan woman it gives me a great happiness to be active in British politics. I have learnt many things by being in the political arena in London. The relationship that a politician has with the constituent is a two way deal. We perform a monthly walkabout to find out the burning issues of the residents while keeping the promises that we made before the elections. While I was campaigning for the elections, I had to go to every house to talk to the people. I had a team of thirty people to help me. I was not allowed to even buy them a cup of tea as this could be construed as corruption. I had to declare even a cup of tea in to my election expenses. I would describe politics as a power with a purpose.. My personal greed and desires have become minimal, while the desire of serving others and making their lives better have become a priority. Commitment is very high in the agenda. My personal contact details and telephone numbers are in the public domain so that people can access me easily. If someone leaves me a message on my phone I always make sure to reply. I always reply to my e-mails within 48 hours.

Q: Are you happy in politics?

A: According to my Buddhist beliefs, I thinks I am on the right path of life. It is about giving more than I receive and this gives me a personal satisfaction. I never thought that politics will go in hand in hand with Buddhism, but it certainly does. If you want to be a public servant I think the person need to be unselfish and not greedy.

Q: What are your future plans?

A: I want to climb the political ladder. I do have some plans to go forward in my political career. I want to work for developing countries. I think there is so much to be done in the developing countries. I think in the developed world, the citizens are well fed and looked after by their leaders. There are great strategies in place for the citizens. The social system is geared up to support the disadvantaged residents. I think my experiences and knowledge could be used to work in projects where it involves poor countries. I would love to be doing something which involves eradicating the poverty with the poor nations.


www island.lk

No comments: